Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Talk Tuesday with Lucy Thompson

I had the privilege to read Lucy Thompson's book, Mail Order Surprise. And it surely did surprise me with its well written, fast paced, and lovely story line. I'm usually not one to enjoy western romances, but Lucy was able to bring a feminine flair to a Louis L'Amour inspired cowboy story.

Readers will pick up on a few other elements that lent an inspiration to her story. I highly recommend this read. Check out below to learn more about Lucy and her debut novel.





Book Blurb:

Colorado, 1881.

Lydia Walsh is on the run. The quiet rancher she marries and expected to find safety and protection with turns out to have three siblings, next to nothing to live on, and is a crack shot who may or may not be one of the states best cattle rustlers.
Beau Harding wants to keep his family together and do the right thing by them. His mail order bride comes with her own set of baggage: two more mouths to feed and empty hearts begging him to fill. The job he took for some quick money gets him thrown in jail for rustling, and then to clear his name he takes on another job--and learns that his wife may have been the one plotting his family’s downfall all along.


Let's learn more about Lucy!


[RBR] Mail order brides were a norm in the 1800's to early 1900's. What made you decide to write a book about one?
 
[LT] I love mail order bride stories. So much can go wrong—and so much potential to go right! I set out to write the book I wanted to read, and this is it. :) 
I love the various reasons women chose to become mail order brides (lack of money, to get away from someone/thing, lack of men to marry, following a friend who had advertised, revenge). 
The situation those women find themselves in when they arrive. Sooo much potential for character growth!
How they resolve those conflicts and grow in their faith. Belief in God/Jesus is very important to me and this spills over into my stories. Hopefully, without being too preachy.
And the Happy Ever After. Must have a great HEA. I originally wasn’t going to allow Lydia to be able to have children. Domestic violence, after all, can leave lasting consequences that aren’t always nice. But after feedback from beta readers I decided to let her. Like a good author. Ha ha! 



[RBR] You have a twist at the end concerning Lydia that added even more depth to the story. Tell me, was it fun to write that in? What propelled you to have that little twist?
 
[LT] I’m guessing the twist is the children? Can’t say too much without giving anything away. Ha ha. Or to do with the cattle rustling? The whole story was super fun to write. It was my first attempt at ever writing a book and to start with I knew NOTHING about the craft of writing. So everything was a joy to write. No second guessing. Just following my characters around recording whatever they did. So the twist at the end (as with all the twists/plot points in the story) were a complete surprise to me. It was the weirdest feeling just typing away and being surprised at what I wrote. Truly was just as if the story was dictated to me. 



[RBR] Westerns. Westerns inspire a feeling of romance and adventure, but a lot of research goes into writing one to make it authentic. What were a few surprising facts you discovered? Which one or ones were your favorite?
 

[LT] Cocaine Toothache Drops. 15c Marketed at CHILDREN! This didn’t make it into my story, but I found that to be both shocking and interesting. I also developed a fascination with corsets—the precursor of the modern bra—women used to wear so much underwear. In the 1880’s women campaigned to reduce the amount of underwear to seven pounds. Can you imagine wearing more than 7lb of underwear every day!


[RBR] If you had to compare your book to a movie and/or another author, what/who would it be and why?
 
[LT] Compared to a movie? Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. The marriage of convenience theme, the messy brothers/house, scene at the dinner table. All shamelessly *borrowed*. In fact, I wrote a blog post about this. http://www.jodiewolfe.com/#!The-Thief-with-an-Attitude/c1ghk/57484b450cf25d206f8b6c5a 


Compared to another author: Mary Connealy. I love her laugh out loud humor, her spunky heroines, and gruff cowboys. Mine aren’t exactly the same, but I want to be her when I grow up. :) I’ve been told that I’m similar to Laurie Alice Eakes, which is a huge honor. 


[RBR] Fun question: Who is your favorite classic author and why? 

[LT] Classic author… you mean like Jane Austen era authors? Huge confession: I’ve never finished a book written in the 19th century. Shocking, right? I’ve tried and just can’t get into them.
                                      
What about YOU? What do you like best about mail order bride stories? Do you have a favorite? Please share! :) 


Thank you, Lucy!

Connect with Lucy Thompson at the following links, and don't forget to comment for your chance to win an e-book copy of Mail Order Surprise! 

https://lucythompsonauthor.com
 (use this link to connect with her on Facebook, Twitter, and Pintrest)

https://www.amazon.com/Lucy-Thompson

http://forgetmenotromances.com


 
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me here! What a fun interview. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to host you. :) Make sure you share the post as much as possible.

      Delete