Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Talk Tuesday with Sandy Nadeau

For the kick-off of Talk Tuesdays I'm hosting Sandy Nadeau and her newest release, Rescue Me.

Risking her life to save him is easy. Risking her heart to give him a second chance is impossible.
If you haven't heard of this Christian book published by Pelican Book Group's imprint Harbourlight, here's the blurb:

First Responder Ronnie Spencer has a no-dating-firefighters rule. She lost her father to a fire, and won't risk the heartbreak of losing someone else. But when Steve McNeal returns, Ronnie's heart is tested. How can she swear off dating a firefighter when she has to work with the one man she used to love? When the unthinkable happens, Ronnie has doubts. How can a loving God allow tragedy to stalk her life again? As her faith wavers, Ronnie must decide. Will their blossoming relationship be quickly extinguished by the very thing she feared, or will Ronnie trust God and allow her heart to be rescued--even if that means giving it to a firefighter? 

Sounds interesting and I can't wait to get my hands on this novel!
Find out more about Sandy below.



[PP&K] Rescue Me is the title for your book and that title brings to mind not only a TV show but also a song. Beyond that it seems there is a dual meaning to the title. In a literary sense, tell me more about what the title means to you and what you hope the reader will gain from it.

   [SN] It's funny when you have a title the same as something else. Those things had no bearing. I've never seen the show, and I don't know the song. When I wrote the book and came up with the title, it was about people that rescue others, whether in fires or accidents. The characters both had something they needed to overcome. And only through faith in Christ could they find that peace, that rescue. Rescue Me was a very fitting title as they both found ways to be rescued out of their struggles, fears and guilt. I think we all go through things in our lives that lead us to a point of, "I have to fix this. I have to have this fixed. I have to get beyond it. It has to change." In the book, Ronnie finally reaches that point of not wanting fear to run her life any longer. Steve has to learn to get beyond his guilt.


[PP&K] To market a book an author has to know not only the target audience but also what readers would want to experience from a story. Tell me: what does your book bring to the reader?


   [SN] A path to healing. There can be restoration. Love wins. God will help you overcome. Love of family. And hopefully, a feeling for what Colorado is like and the adventures that can be found.
[PP&K] Readers seem to devour books about firefighters, paramedics, police officers, and military, etc. These books accentuate the Type A/Alpha personality of a man. Tell us how you developed your character, Steve McNeal.

   [SN] My husband was a volunteer firefighter for a number of years back in Minnesota. And it wasn't all men. There were two women on the department and one of them saved my hubby from being thrown off a balcony on one fire call by a backdraft. We lived in Minnesota prior to moving to Colorado where we spent the last thirty years. While on the fire/rescue department, I think I saw so many different characteristics that I could glean from for Steve and really all the characters in the book. Including Troy. I wanted Steve to be strong, sensitive, a bit head strong, determined and motivated. Traits of many firefighters. Steve needed a reason to struggle too, so after a few brainstorming sessions with another writer, we had a good idea brewing. Life is all about trying to get beyond issues that stand in our way, prevent us from growing, from changing attitudes. I firmly believe that without God's strength to lead us through those things, we continue to be lost.
 
[PP&K] Tracie Peterson endorsed your book, which is high praise from a prolific writer. If you had to compare your book to one of hers, what would you choose? Why?

   [SN] Oh my. I don't think I can do that. Tracie is my writing hero. I've read her books for years. If I compare anything, it would be setting. Her many books are set in so many wonderful locations. She's very meticulous about those details and all her research. Her writing is amazing. She is so talented. At the same time, she is one of the kindest, most encouraging, and generous people you'll ever meet. When I was first starting to get into this writing thing, she encouraged me so much at conferences, now through social media, emails and even just reading her books. I love when you put a book down and it just makes you smile and feel good. Joyful. Encouraged. That became my goal. I wanted to write books that made people feel like I feel when I finish a great book. Tracie's always do that for me. The characters have to go through a lot to get to that end point of restoration and/or hope. When she agreed to endorse my book, I was over the moon with excitement. She is so gracious. To have her name on the front cover of my book means the world to me. I have a long way to go in the craft, but I'm going to have fun along the way. Just another adventure!
[PP&K] What books, movies, or shows had the most impact on your story Rescue Me? Was it a combination of many elements? Was it a gumbo stew of ideas?

   [SN] I would say it was more just life in general that impacted Rescue Me the most. Again, our history with fire and rescue, life in Colorado, and just thinking of the struggles we face in life. As the book developed, I could see it playing like a movie in my mind if that counts for anything. I really love Hallmark movies. I like that they make me feel good. It's not scary, or gross, it's simplistic. I think that is an appeal. Our lives are no where near simplistic, but maybe we want them to be just a little bit.
[PP&K] Fun Question: Who is your favorite classic author and why?
   
  [SN] I was very partial to Charles Dickens growing up. Maybe because he was the first one I knew about. At least that I remember. I would have to say though that Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables wins it all hands down. I loved the antics of Anne. The fiery personality, the situations she ended up in. Love that book and the movies with Megan Follows and Colleen Dewhurst. Fantastic story telling.
  
  Connect with Sandy Nadeau through the links below and check out her debut novel, Red Gold, while you are there.















http://pelicanbookgroup.com

No comments:

Post a Comment